Red Ribbon Week

Aubrey Cleves, Writer

According to Justthinktwice.gov Red Ribbon Week started in honor of Kiki, who worked for a drug enforcement administration.  In 1985, KiKi was killed by drug traffickers. After his death, people started wearing red ribbons in his honor. Red ribbon Week is celebrated around the world and includes some fun traditions. Mr. Brian Alessandro, a seventh-grade teacher, said, “My favorite part about red ribbon week is that it sends out a message to not do drugs.”

Red Ribbon Week included some fun, interesting, and new traditions. It started with a Wear Red Day. Many students wore red around the school to show their understanding of this cause. Tuesday was Decades Day, Wednesday was Country vs. Country Club Day, and Thursday was Tacky Tourist Day. Amber Hansman, eighth grader, said, “My favorite day was tacky tourist day. I loved dressing up with friends and seeing people in all different kinds of outfits.” Friday was Halloween Costume Day. The sixth-grade, team two teachers, won the costume contest. They were all dressed as Beanie Babies. Mrs. Lindsey Reckers, said, “We had tons of fun doing this and loved picking out which animal we were going to be. However, it was extremely hot in the fuzzy onesies all day! I made the TY tags and loved the way they pulled the Beanie Baby costume together. We also love including Greta, Mrs. Meadows’s dog, every year as part of our costume!”

Red Ribbon Week is celebrated to show students that drugs are not okay and that lives can change if a good example is set for not doing drugs. Peers can influence their friends in supportive or destructive ways when it comes to drug use. Mr. Alessandro said, “I think the traditions we do now build a culture and bring awareness to an important message.” There was a lot of effort and planning put into Red Ribbon Week this year. Mr. Ryan Augustine said, “The Student Council did a great job of taking ownership of the plans for the week and making sure they were carried out.”

Lots of students dressed up all week long.  Brianna Horner, an eighth-grade student, said, “I love seeing others dress up, but I think if more dressed up, others would feel more comfortable doing it too.” One thing that did change this year, there was no pajama day. Franny Smith, an eighth grader, said, “I think they should have kept pajama day because it was one of the days that almost everyone participated in. I think that everyone liked it too!”

The mission of Red Ribbon Week is to educate families and to help kids grow up safe, healthy, and drug-free. Spreading the message to be drug-free is an important tool in keeping kids safe from drug and alcohol abuse. The message is serious, but the week was fun.