What is a VSCO girl?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What is a VSCO girl?

Annie Ellison, Staff Writer

In the 20’s, there were flappers, in the 60’s, they were flower power girls. In the 80’s, there were valley girls and now there are VSCO girls.  Many friends and relatives have probably heard about their friends and families talking about “VSCO girls.” Dictionary.com said, “VSCO girl is a term, generally used as an insult, for a young, usually white woman who posts trendy pictures of herself edited on the app VSCO.”  VSCO is an app that is mainly based off of photography and editing pictures. There are over 150 million VSCO downloads from IOS and Android users. Woman under the age of 25 seem to be taken with this trend.

According to Vox.com, “The ‘starter pack’ of a VSCO girl will likely include the following items: A T-shirt so big that it covers the bottom of her shorts. If she’s not wearing a scrunchie in her hair, she’ll almost certainly keep one on his wrist. She’ll carry a backpack by the Sweden-based Fjallraven, and a sticker-covered Hydro Flask, Burt’s Bees or Carmex lip balm topped with Glossier lip gloss, and a puka shell choker.” From the website Rollingston.com, research on the VSCO girl phase said, “Now, on the cliff of the Year of Our Lord 2020, the latest stereotype used to mock teenage female identity is that of the VSCO girl, a meme that originated among teens using the app Tik Tok that has now infiltrated the mainstream.”

During Red Ribbon Week, the school had a Tik Tok/Meme/Vine day. Several students and teachers dressed as VSCO girls! Avery Barber, sixth grader, said, “I don’t think it should be a real thing. I think the app should stay an app and not a person. They are annoying because of their laughs and ‘and I oop’ and banging their Hydroflasks everywhere.”

Mrs. Kimberly Klein, eighth grade science teacher, said, “I’m fascinated by it, and I didn’t know it was a thing until I watched the videos on YouTube to figure out what they were. I realized then how so many of the student’s dress and act like it. I don’t consider myself a VSCO girl because that would be creepy that would make me seem like I want to be a middle schooler.”

Overall, VSCO girls were the main trend in 2019. It’s a term that is mainly an insult for girls who post trendy pictures of herself edited on the app VSCO. Owen Lecky, an eighth grader, said, “I think that they are very odd, and I don’t understand the point about it. Like, why do they wear oversized sweatshirts? Why don’t they just dress normal?”