Talent Show Fills the House

Back to Article
Back to Article

Talent Show Fills the House

Katie Buschle, Staff Writer

“I was practically grinning throughout the entire performance,” said Katy Fisher, seventh grader, after she danced to “Baby Shark” in the talent show this year. The annual talent show is a way for middle school students to showcase their special talents to their peers, parents, and teachers. Acts range anywhere from dancing and singing to bongo-playing.  Students started with auditions, hours of practice, and finally the show.

During the audition process, students performed and shared their special talents. Students auditioned in front of a small group of high-schoolers and Mrs. Lori Duncan. The kids decided what they want to do beforehand, and practiced it.  They signed up for a specific time after school for their audition. “It was really nerve-wracking because all eyes were on me during the audition, and I didn’t have any time to warm up before.  I thought I would mess up,” said Campbell Smith, seventh grader. The list containing the names of every student that will be performing in the talent show was put up the day after auditions in the front office. After practicing by themselves, there was a dress rehearsal. Students performed the entire show one time through with lighting, sound, and costumes.

After a night of rehearsing, the show is finally ready to be put on the stage. On February 22, the community, including students and parents, came together in the Performing Arts Center to watch the middle schoolers showcase their talent. “I sang Rainbow by Kacey Musgraves,” said Laney Smith, seventh grader, “I was nervous when I first got on the stage, but once I started singing I was super confident.” For some performers, the most exciting part was showing their talent, and what they could do. For others, the best part was simply the experience of being with the group. “My favorite part of the talent show was spending time with my friends, and collaborating on what we would do for the show,” said Fisher.

After the show, the performers came out and greeted their family and friends who congratulated them on their acts. “My favorite act of the night was Grace Shuley’s song she wrote for her mother,” said Camrin Cox, eighth grader, “It was really cool to see talent from my friends and kids I see every day because I didn’t know they could do such special things,” said Cox.

“The talent show is one of my favorite things to do because I love singing and showing people what I can do,” said Laney Smith. The talent show went as planned and almost had a full house.