Celebrating the Drive for Twenty Five

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celebrating the Drive for Twenty Five

Madison Gillman, Staff Writer

“Happiness doesn’t result from what we get, but from what we give,” said Ben Carson, United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. The middle school’s annual canned food drive was held November 12 through November 20, 2018. The non-perishable foods and cash donations benefited the Brighton Center, Salvation Army, and St. Vincent de Paul of St. Thomas Church.

Leading up to the canned food drive, Mr. Ryan Augustin, an eighth grade teacher and the Student Council were stressing the importance of bringing in donations. In hopes of getting people to donate, they created a competition between the top students in each grade and the top homeroom in the school. The top student from each grade would win a trip to Game Works, and they were allowed to choose one friend to go with them. The top class in the school would win a Game Works day as well. Mrs. Ewald’s homeroom was excited about the competition. On the fourth day of the canned food drive, Ewald’s homeroom was already in the lead with 498 cans. Throughout the drive they stayed in first place, to eventually win the day at Game Works. The top grade-winners were Seth Valliere, Landen Baumer, and Evelyn Morel. Valliere, eighth grader, brought in over 700 cans. Baumer, seventh grader, brought in around 760 cans. Morel, sixth grader, brought in the most cans in the middle school with around 800 cans.

At the close of the Drive for 25, the middle school showed it was the season of giving with the grand total of 19,084 cans, which includes $5,400 collected that was divided between the Salvation Army and Brighton Center. As some of the students brought in hundreds of donations out of generosity, others wanted to win the competition. Morel said, “I ended up bringing in so many cans because I thought it was a very fun competition to be a part of, but I knew that I was going to be helping a lot of other people in our community.”

On Friday, January 25, 2019, Mr. Augustin and Mr. Lipscomb, eighth grade teacher, took the top three students in the middle school on their Game Works trip. After 3rd period, they all gathered in the front of the school to get ready to leave. When they arrived at Game Works they ate pizza for lunch, and they received cookies as a treat. Once they were finished eating, they were sent off to play video games for a little over an hour. Baumer said, “My favorite game was the 3D hummer game, and my friend Casey Knauer really enjoyed it as well.” The students were not the only ones having fun on this trip, the teachers played a few games themselves. Valliere, eighth grader, said, “My favorite game was the basketball game, and I got to play against Mr. Lipscomb a couple of times.” The two sixth graders Evelyn Morel and Fiona McIntosh were having fun playing spin the wheel game, while the boys were playing basketball. After the hour full of fun, they headed back to school for the end of the day.

The competition of the Drive for 25 really pushed students to bring in as many donations as possible. Some of the students brought in more than was expected of them. The fun day at Game Works for the top students in each grade showed that their gathering of cans and donations paid off.