The Winter Reading Challenge Is on Target to Meet Goal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celeste Tinkler, Staff Writer

On January 28 The Winter Reading Challenge started. Grades, teams, homerooms, and students, face off to see who will read the most books. The school is trying to beat last year’s total. This year’s eighth grade has the pressure of becoming three- year champs. Mr. Michael Howton, Principal, set goals with rewards throughout the weeks of the challenge. But the special rewards are not the most important part.  It is all about the reading. The goal is 3,000 books by March 1.

Mrs. Amy Fry, an eighth-grade language arts teacher, had a homeroom victory in the 2017 challenge. The motivation for her students was putting a little pressure on them by reminding them that her past homeroom won. Mrs. Fry said, “I think this time of the year is difficult for students because we are all stressed and this will help destress them.” Teachers like Mrs. Fry hope the habits of this coming month will continue and students will feel more relaxed in their classes and keep reading.

Every year during this challenge the encouragement follows the students home. Parents are encouraged to participate in the contest as well. Every book they read is worth two. The books they put in can really help the totals. As for school, students who read a book over 400 pages get double points. With this extra bonus, it makes the prizes seem a lot easier to achieve. Kenzi Vennefron, an eighth-grade student, said, “I would love to get a gift card. I’m really trying to reach that goal.” This year’s awards, besides the gift cards, are frozen yogurt from the cafeteria and a surprise that is to be determined. Every year a few students accomplish reading over 25 books. Bianca Hemsath, an eighth-grader, is one of those who reads hard during the competition. Hemsath said, “I read often, so participating in the winter reading challenge is natural for me. It is a lot of fun, and I’m glad that I can do my part for the class.” Last year, Hemsath read a total of 31 books. Hemsath said, “The winter reading challenge is motivation for me because it gives me another reason to read. I hope it will help me get through even more books that I have been looking forward to.”

Mrs. Stephanie Griffith, librarian, is in charge of the reading challenge. Mrs. Griffith has been running the reading challenge for the past three years. The most popular genre of books kids read during the challenge is graphic novels. Mrs. Griffith hopes the students gain a love for reading and hopes to gain some things for herself. She said, “I really do enjoy this. I know that I personally challenge myself and read so much more during this month. I really focus on reading. The huge payoff is that I know so many more books to recommend to students.”

March 1 marks the end of the 2019 Winter Reading Challenge. By the end, Mrs. Griffith hopes students have gained the power and love of reading and enjoyed the Reading Challenge.