Mr. Rowe Inspires his Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Rowe Inspires his Students

Emma Cooper, Staff Writer

“I was so surprised! I didn’t think it was actually going to happen!” Said Eva Sarakatsannis, sixth grader. On Tuesday, January 22, Mr. Zachary Rowe, sixth grade teacher, shaved off his beard. He made a bet with his student, Cole Beyersdoerfer, sixth grader, that if he could get a 100% on his unit test, then he would shave off his beard. Mr. Rowe said, “I knew that Cole had been struggling in class, so I decided to motivate him by making a bet.”

Many students thought that Beyersdoerfer couldn’t do it. Sarakatsannis said, “I thought that he would maybe get one or two questions wrong because the test was really hard.” In the end, though, Beyersdoerfer did get a 100%, and that meant there would be no more beard.

It ended up being a big topic around the 6-1 team. Mr. Rowe said, “Kids were motivating Cole, and asking him questions in the hallways.” Mr. Michael Howton also thought it was a great way to motivate students. He said, “I love to see teachers really getting involved with their students.”

When the day of the test finally came, Beyersdoerfer thought he was more than ready for the test. He said, “I studied so much the night before that I thought my head might burst!”

The kids didn’t find out the results of the test for two days, and they were eager for the news. Riley Toole, sixth grader, said, “We were all waiting for the day to find out what score Cole got.” In Mr. Rowe’s fourth period class, Beyersdoerfer was handed an envelope, and all eyes were glued to the paper in anticipation. When the envelope was opened, it was revealed that Beyersdoerfer received 100%. “I was surprised because I got a 100%. I didn’t think the test was that hard. Mason Bishop went especially crazy. He was throwing his hands up in the air and running around.”

Mr. Rowe got out his electric razor and let Beyersdoerfer shave the first piece off. Riley Toole said, “I didn’t think he was actually going to follow through with shaving it off!” Everyone was left with a smile on their face, even Mr. Rowe! He said, “Even though my beard is gone, I still loved helping one of my students get motivated.”