Where Should the Middle School Go during Football Games?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celeste Tinkler, Staff Writer

The Friday night football games at Highlands High School is a weekly, fall activity for everyone in the community. Families of Fort Thomas show up to support the team as well as kids in the middle school who are waiting to be part of the high school ozone. It is always a Friday night ritual that many are excited about. For middle school students, it is time to socialize at the end of the week. Recently, the middle school lost their seats in the stadium.

The set-up for all the fans for the past seasons was well organized, but this season a change was made. The set up designated areas for the Highlands High School Ozone, the band and dance team, parents and families, and the away team. On the right end of the field, the lower bleachers were dedicated to the middle school students. This football season’s arrangements changed. The high bleachers still had the same setup, but instead, the high school band sat instruments and played on the lower bleachers that the middle school once occupied.

Mr. Josh Feldman, Assistant Principal, explained how the plan originated. The change happened when the Ohio State University (OSU) band performed at our half time. The OSU band was placed in the small bleachers that were once designated to the middle school students. Additions bleachers were added to accommodate the OSU band members and their instruments. After that game, the Highlands High School band was then given that area as their own designated spot to play.

Before the change, a majority of middle schoolers did use the space.  Chloe Guy, seventh grader, said, “I liked having a spot for us because now we have to go around looking in the stands, and half the time we are all really close and squished together. The games are still fun though.” Middle schoolers wander around the field, but they tend to stay in the region of the small bleachers. Camrin Cox, an eighth-grade student said, “It was kind of annoying at first. With our own area and we could move and roam around. Now, we have to find a spot or stand, and it’s not as fun. I felt kind of isolated from all the other kids in my grade because we couldn’t always find seats.” Middle school students now either try to find seats in the stands or stand around by the concession stands or the scoreboard.

The community outside of the middle school liked the new change. Mr. Feldmann said, “After the performance by the OSU band, we had a great response from folks saying they liked having the band over there and suggested they stay over there having a designated area to play.” The move does allow the band more open space and less noise for those in the large stands. According to Mr. Feldmann, the comments received from the outside supporters were all good and excited towards the change.