Girl Power Starts Its Eighth Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girl Power Starts Its Eighth Year

Grace Smith, Staff Writer

“The aim of Girl Power is to help young women transition into sixth grade by building self-esteem and establishing meaningful friendships through small group activities,” said Mrs. Lori Maines, Guidance Counselor, and Girl Power Advisor.  Girl power is a school club where all sixth-grade girls are welcome. The sponsors for Girl Power are Mrs. Lori Maines and Mrs. Britane Bednar, school counselors.

The idea for the club is to improve girls’ confidence and make the transition to sixth grade easier. Girl Power started in 2010, and in past years attendance has been about 30-40 sixth grade girls with an additional 20 eighth graders. “Girls Power is a great opportunity to be with your peers in a social environment,” said Mrs. Maines.  Sixth graders are divided into groups, each group gets two to three eighth grade mentors who lead the activities. Girl power meets once a month and includes many activities. A few examples are: it’s all about me social issues healthy body and mind holiday fun physical fitness friendship and girl power celebration.

For the past seven years Mrs. Terri D’Ambrosio, sixth grade social studies teacher was the co-sponsor with Mrs. Maines, but in the 2017-2018 school year, Mrs. D’Ambrosio retired. Taking the spot of Mrs. D’Ambrosio is the new school counselor is Mrs. Bednar. Mrs. Bednar said, “Since it is my first year, I am excited to get to know the club and the girls themselves.” Mrs. Maines will miss Mrs. D’Ambrosio, but she is excited to work with Mrs. Bednar. Campbell Smith who was a past Girl Power Member, said, “Girl Power was very fun. My favorite part about it was skit day because all the skits were so funny.”  The first meeting was on September 12th. The meeting was all about getting to know each other and themselves.  Emma Gillman, sixth grader, said, “My favorite part about girl power was the games. They were really fun. I also learned that anyone can be friends no matter what.”

Girl Power helps in the transition to sixth grade, and it is very beneficial to be paired with an older mentor who can help with school work and student social life. Girl power is held once a month in the cafeteria, and it is a powerful way the students can come together and form a community of girls who are there for each other.