Welcome to the New Guidance Counselor

CiCi Murphy, Staff Writer

Mr. Michael Howton, Principal, said, “We have 750 students and one counselor didn’t meet our needs.” This year the middle school hired an additional school counselor, Mrs. Britane Bednar. Mrs. Bednar has been a school counselor for five years at Campbell County Middle School and enjoys it very much. She said, “I love working with kids.”

Mrs. Bednar attended Kent University where she graduated with her Bachelor’s Degree. A little over 10 years ago she moved to Cincinnati, Ohio. Before working as a counselor for Campbell County Middle School, she worked for a community mental health nonprofit, Talbert House, for four years. She began working at the middle school in June. In addition to working at the school, Mrs. Bednar was named the Middle School Vice President of the Kentucky School Counselor Association in May of 2017, as well as the President-Elect for the same association in June of 2018. Outside of school counseling she enjoys spending time with her husband, who like her, is from Minerva, Ohio. She said, “We love to travel, hike, and stay active with our two dogs.”

One of Mrs. Bednar’s favorite parts of working at the school is getting to know not only the students but the staff. Mrs. Lori Maines, guidance counselor, is very excited to work with Mrs. Bednar. She said, “We have had a great start to this school year, and I anticipate good things happening over the next few weeks.” Having another full-time counselor will make scheduling a lot easier. Mrs. Bednar will also collaborate with teachers, staff members, and students to make change for the better. Mr. Howton said, “She is coming with a lot of knowledge about bullying prevention programs and is working with Mr. Feldmann to develop those programs.” In addition, the two counselors split up the middle school students. This means Mrs. Bednar is mostly in charge of the sixth grade and team 8-2, while Mrs. Maines is more focused on the seventh grade and team 8-1.  “Shared responsibility of students and activities has allowed me to plan more classroom lessons and meet with individual students throughout the year,” said Mrs. Maines.

Having two school counselors can give the students another person who they know is always in support of them, helping them do their best to succeed, and caring about them during this new to some, challenging time; middle school. Mrs. Bednar said, “I think middle school and high school students especially are going through so much and need a person they can trust to talk to and go to for help if needed. Anytime I can help empower a student to make positive changes and choices is a great feeling.”

Being the beginning of the school year, the counselors haven’t had a whole lot of time to meet with the students, but in the time they have had, they have already helped. Aly Welch, eighth grader, did a classroom activity with Mrs. Bednar and said, “It made me and others think about the PSAT, getting good grades, and staying motivated. She also made us feel like we had someone to talk to about our personal life and if anything was bothering us. Mrs. Bednar also did an activity with the sixth graders where she taught them how to meditate and remembering things, both strategies that can make middle school and the years following much easier. After doing the activity, Torin Bryant, sixth grader said, “I did enjoy it. I felt like it helped me learn how to calm down.” Mrs. Kimberly Klein, Team 8-1 science teacher, got to witness one of these classroom activities and saw Mrs. Bednar educated and counseled the students. She said, “They went over all of the other eighth-grade activities that will be happening this school year and the seven habits and how to apply them to your school year.”