Just Sew Is Just about Family

Back to Article
Back to Article

Just Sew Is Just about Family

Holden Heiert, Staff Writer

“One of our biggest goals running the shop was to make all of the generations overlap,”  said Kelsey Pryor, third generation sewer in her family. Sewing has been in the Pryor’s family for generations, and they started Just Sew to give the experience of sewing to other families.

Just Sew is owned by three generations of Pryors. Kelsey Pryor said, “We’ve just been a very crafty family for a long time.” The Pryor family enjoys teaching the next generation to sew. Not only does sewing bring people together, but it also helps make beautiful things that will capture the memories that were used to make it. April Pryor said, “I also love being around beautiful things and getting to touch fabric on a regular basis.” These beautiful things come in all different shapes and sizes, quilts, little Christmas gifts, clothes, and even wedding dresses.

Just Sew has a mission to bring the community together and unite them through something that can be a life skill and never forgotten. Kelsey Pryor said, “We love it when kids come in and when moms come in with their kids.” The Pryor’s hope to reach out to all ages and give them a skill that does not involve electronics but involves using hands to make something glorious for someone else.

One way to fulfill their mission is through classes. It doesn’t matter about age or skill they just want people to come in and have fun. No one is perfect. People can just go in and enjoy the atmosphere. There are all different types of classes from kids sewing to landscape quilting to Mom’s Club. For April Pryor, her favorite class to teach is Mom’s Club because she likes connecting with the moms. “I think the classes are what we get the most excited about, and what people get the most excited about.” Kelsey Pryor said. If people just want to quilt, there are quilting classes. If people just want to learn the basics, there are 101 classes. The Pryors do their best to have a class for everyone.

One class that they offer is a make and take class where people can finish that project in that class and get to take it home. This class is perfect for Christmas presents. The Pryors know what it is like to not be able to make it to a certain class when all people want to do is sew. So, they have an option where people can come at any time and work on a matchbox quilt which is a tiny quilt that is ready to be sewn together. Evelyn Morel, sixth grade, said, “I can’t wait to take a class!”  No matter the skill level, everyone is welcomed at Just Sew.

Just Sew’s mission is to give people the enjoyment of sewing and being together. The Pryor family has an experience of sewing that will go from generation to generation and never stop. They want people to feel welcome and learn no matter their skill level.