Mr. Lense Takes on a New Challenge

Katie Deshler, Staff Writer

Everyone knows of the sixth-grade math teacher, Mr. Aaron Lense. Mr. Lense has been teaching sixth-grade math here since 2009; however, he has recently taken on a new challenge, the position of middle school athletic director. His first athletic position was not track or cross country which is what most people know him for today. He actually started out as the soccer coach. He coached soccer at Highlands High School for four seasons, 2009-2012. Mr. Lense has been coaching cross country since 2013 and track since 2016.

Many challenges come with this position. Mr. Lense said, “Being it is my first year, the biggest challenge was having to learn everything I didn’t know. There are so many things I didn’t know that I never thought I would need to know. The idea of being the athletic director and a full-time teacher is daunting. Mr. Lense said, “I Schedule everything that happens in the gym, cafeteria, site-based rooms, or plaza, attend almost all home games and set the schedule for basketball and volleyball, order all buses and eligibility. Anything that has to do with athletics pretty much goes through me and I didn’t know all of that came with this job.” Mr. Lense hopes to keep athletic department just as successful if not more successful as it has been in years past.

Mr. Lense is known for being a caring and supportive coach and teacher. Landen Fernandez, sixth grader and cross-country runner said, “I like Mr. Lense as a coach because he pushes us to be our best and helps us and does everything for our team.” Laney Smith, seventh- grader said, “We like Mr. Lense because he’s very nice when it comes to running and he’s reasonable with the distance he makes you run.” 8th grader Ruby Smith said, “He is always very supportive and helps you whenever you need it.”

Mr. Lense said he was prepared for the job. “You have to be extremely organized and be able to multi-task, but being a teacher and a coach has already prepared me because I have been around athletics, also, I have a Master’s Degree in Athletic Education,” said Mr. Lense. Some changes have already been made in the athletic department. Mr. Lense said, “The biggest change we already made is the creation of a middle school athletics website. https://sites.google.com/fortthomas.kyschools.us/hmsathletics/home?authuser=0  As soon as I took the job I realized parents and students have nowhere to go to look at athletics, so I spent most of my summer creating a website.” While Mr. Lense hopes to change a lot of things, he also hopes to keep a lot the same. He said, “I hope our athletes can continue to be successful. We have an awesome program already and I don’t want to screw it up.”

Mr. Lense is widely known around the school and city for being a teacher and a coach. Mr. Lense said the one thing he looks forward to the most is, “Watching the athletes perform and grow. I like seeing the students outside of their ‘school-selves’.”