Mr. Feldmann Brings New Ideas

Grace Carris, Staff Writer

As a father of three and the new Assistant Principal of the middle school, Mr. Josh Feldmann is staying busy. Mr. Feldmann began working as the new Assistant Principal for the middle school on July 1. Mr. Feldmann had previously been a teacher at Johnson Elementary.

In college, Mr. Feldmann did “gigs” as a stand-up comedian. He said, “It started as a dare from one of my friends, and then they invited me back. It became a way for me to make some extra bucks. They gave me 50 bucks a set, and I ended up really enjoying it.” Students like eighth grader Eden Brumer said, “I can see him being a comedian because he can be really funny. He makes people laugh and smile.” Once Mr. Feldmann’s days as a comedian ended he started in the marketing business. Mr. Feldmann has a marketing degree from Xavier University and worked in sales for six years before deciding to pursue a teaching career. Mr. Feldmann has a Bachelor in Elementary Education, Master’s in Education with an endorsement for teaching gifted education, and also has his Rank I in Instructional Leadership all earned at Northern Kentucky University.

Mr. Feldmann came from Johnson Elementary where he taught fifth grade social studies. Mr. Feldmann began his teaching career in 2003 at Johnson and had been teaching there for 15 years. McKenna Oaks, eighth grader, said, “I think Mr. Feldmann is a good fit for the assistant principal job because he really knows how to connect with his students.” Mr. Feldmann is excited to be here and said, “I’m looking forward to getting to see all my former students and building relationships with new students.” Mr. Michael Lipscomb, eighth grade math teacher said, “Mr. Feldmann is a good fit for the assistant principal role because he is a good leader and he takes the time to get to know as many of the students as he possibly can.”

As Mr. Feldmann settles in at the middle school he said, “I am excited about working with over 700 students. I hope to make HMS a better place.” With so many students and such a long year ahead, there will be many memories and opportunities. eighth grade language arts teacher, Mrs. Amy Fry, said, “Mr. Feldmann is an excellent addition to HMS. His energy is infectious! He has such a positive attitude as well. The fact that about 1/3 of our students already know him from Johnson is also great.” Since Mr. Feldmann had been teaching at Johnson for 15 years, many previous students already know him. Alyssa Harris, eighth grade student, said, “I think Mr. Feldmann is a great fit for the assistant principal job. Since he already knows some kids from Johnson, it makes it easy to transition to HMS and get to know the students he didn’t previously teach. He’s very involved in the school and makes everyone feel welcome. He’s very funny and gets to know basically everyone in the school. I’m glad I have him as my assistant principal for my last year of middle school.” As far as physical changes, Mr. Feldmann doesn’t see any specific things that are in need of changing. Mr. Feldmann just wants to try to focus on the atmosphere at the middle school. Mr. Feldmann said, “I want to try to create a safe environment for all of our students and a positive school culture.”

Mr. Feldmann begins a new adventure in this leadership role as this is his first time not teaching in 15 years. He has had a good start while the students and staff all enjoy his fun presence.