Students sing for Michelle

Lucy New, Staff Writer

“Because Michelle was so passionate about music, singing, and performing and because she was such an important contributor to the choir, I found it only fitting to sing something for her since that was such a big part of her life,” Mrs. Beth Rowland, chorus teacher. Michelle touched many people’s lives and hopefully this concert will show people that she left her mark on this school.

Michelle Chalk would have been a Freshmen at Highlands High School. She loved to dance, sing, act, and be herself. There was never a dull moment when she was around. Chalk was very confident with being herself and didn’t rely on others approval. Many said that she was that one girl that always had a smile on her face and made the room a little brighter. In Chalk’s Middle School years, she played the role of characters in The Sound of Music, The Music Man, Wizard of Oz, and Seussical the Musical.

Chalk danced for Dance Express and had participated in The Nutcracker for Cincinnati Ballet every year since 2013. In their most recent performance in 2016 Chalk was featured as the Head Soldier. Chalk loved to sing. A few places she sang for was the choir at the middle school and St. Catherine of Siena’s Christmas Choir.

There was a very special concert to honor Michelle. This concert was held on Oct. 16th in the HHS Performing Arts Center (P.A.C.) at 7 o’clock p.m. It was the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students performing. It is free to get in so there is no limit on who could come. Mrs. Beth Rowland said, “The message is one of hope and not of sadness. And many people either directly or indirectly were touched by Michelle and her kind-hearted nature.” The purpose is to touch others and make them happy to know Michelle.

Mrs. Beth Rowland decided to do this for Chalk because she knew her very well. “Michelle was a student in my choir class for two years. I also had occasion to work with her when preparing for All-State Choir and when she was in The Wizard of Oz, I was the music director for that show.” Rowland thought it was only right to hold this concert for her in her remembrance.

This concert was special because they sang “For Good” from the musical Wicked. This song sends a message saying that they were changed because of this person, or that they were made a better person because of them. Laney Smith, sixth grader, went to watch the concert. She says, “I could for sure feel Michelle’s Presence and God’s. I think it was very moving.” Madeline Dadosky, eighth grader, that was a part of the concert says, “Even though I didn’t know Michelle personally, I could still feel the emotion and the love other students were putting into the song. I could tell they truly meant what they were singing.”

In conclusion, this concert wasn’t meant for sadness. It was to spread a good word to people that still grieve her loss. Chalk loved music and singing. The more people the better! #livefreelikemichelle.