Students dash through color run for the band

Chelsie Cooley, Staff Writer

“Color Runs are fun! You’re doing something healthy that is supporting our middle school musicians,” Mrs. Lori Duncan, Band Instructor, said. The Color Run is an event to support the students by helping raise money for the Marching Band’s trip to Indianapolis for Grand Nationals. According to thecolorrun.com and questions that they asked they’re fearless runners, “The Color Run is the first paint race of its kind and was inspired by several awesome events, including Disney’s World of Color, Paint Parties, Mud Runs, and festivals throughout the world such as Holi. We wanted to create a less stressful and untimed running environment that is more about health and happiness! We hope that The Color Run can act as a catalyst to inspire continual healthy living.”

The Color Run was on Saturday, October 7. To sign up the participants had to pay $30.00 to be able to take part in the fun. Mrs. Duncan said, “All Fort Thomas Independent School families, in particular, middle school students, family members, and friends are welcome to attend.” Participants and watchers arrived at 8:15 A.M. at Tower Park but the run started at 9 A.M.

The amount of runners that were expected to participate was at a standing 150 students, parents, and Fort Thomas citizens. “The course will take you through the park as members of our program splash the participants with color.” The colors that showed were, “blue, green, pink, and purple,” according to Mrs. Duncan. Thecolorrun.com also said, “You will see smiling faces along the course whose main goal is to douse you in colorful powder to ensure that you look like you ran through a beautiful rainbow by the time you cross the finish line.” The Highlands Band did surpass their goal and received a total of $4,135, a portion of that going to the Indianapolis trip. According to Mrs. Duncan, “The marching band is competing in the Bands of America Grand Nationals. 90 bands from across the country are selected to compete in this 3-day competition. The championships are help in Lucas Oil stadium in Indianapolis. Highlands competes on Thursday at 10:15 A.M.”

Some other students have participated in a Color Run in Cincinnati. Sofia Sarakatsannis, eighth grader, and Olivia Hoffmann, eighth grader, said, “It was a way to make running fun.” Sarakatsannis and Hoffmann also described their Color Run experience, “It was in the middle of Cincinnati and it was a 5K. Everyone started together and there were different stops where people would throw powder at you. After that they would throw water at you to make the colors stay.” Color Runs are enjoyable for everyone, no matter if you’re watching or participating. Thecolorrun.com also states, “The Color Run 5K is not a timed event. Runners tend to take their sweet time out there and we realized no one really cares about their speed. We suggest self-timing for anyone desiring a finish time.” The Color Run was made for all speeds and everyone was able to run, walk, or jog with no pressure at all.

Thanks to anyone who came and watched the Color Run. The Highlands Band did surpass their goal. And thanks for supporting the young Bluebird musicians.