New teacher brings her own experience to the classroom

Kim Ossege, Staff Writer

Mrs. Miki Beier is a new face in the building.  She teaches 8-1 language arts and 8-1/8-2 history. Before Mrs. Beier came to the middle school she taught eighth grade at Turkey Foot Middle School. She taught two years working as a substitute teacher then taught seventh grade for a half of a year. The next year she moved to the eighth grade. She taught language arts for six years.

Before teaching Mrs. Beier was a Paralegal. Mrs. Beier was also the cheer coach at Turkey Foot. Her squad was the Ninth Region champs twice and KY State Champs once.

Mrs. Beier likes to teach by having students’ complete worksheets and assigning projects at the end of a unit. McKenna Pinkston, eighth grader said, “Mrs. Beier is very organized and likes to keep her classroom that way.”

Mrs. Beier has three children 2 girls and 1 boy.  Her son is in college and her older daughter goes to Turkeyfoot and her youngest daughter goes to Beechwood.

Mrs. Beier teaches five periods a day, four are language arts one American History. Sarah Holder, eighth grader said, “I enjoy doing all the projects Mrs. Beier gives us. They’re fun, and it really helps me to understand the subject we are learning about. I feel that she really cares, and she makes learning fun and easy.” Besides projects they work on DGP’s and their Independent Learning Journals(ILJ’s). In their ILJ’s they work on vocabulary and open responses. During, focus they to scholastic writing to enter in the Scholastic writing competition.

During, fourth period Mrs. Beier has a history class. That means some students had Mrs. Beier twice a day or even back to back. “I really like having language arts and history with Mrs. Beier because I like the way Mrs. Beier teaches.” said Kennedy Nickleman, eighth grader.  Even though most students say Mrs. Beier gives them a lot of homework, they feel that it is helping them to learn the subjects and prepare them for high school. Every day they must do a warmup at the beginning of class. During the main part of class, they work on worksheets and Schoology assignments.

Mrs. Beier even has positive relationships with her colleagues. Mrs. Angela Cochran, math teacher said, “She has been a great colleague to work with this year. She and I both have high expectations for our students and ourselves.”