A hero emerges after Hurricane Harvey

Jade Rehberger, Staff Writer

According to Fortune Magazine, “Schools have been cancelled, business have been destroyed, and people have fled their homes with bags of clothes, important documents, and keepsakes.” There were hundreds of reports of damage, mayhem, and even death coming out of Texas during Hurricane Harvey.  One person heard this news about Hurricane Harvey and decided to do something about it.  Ms. Jenn Boone said, “I knew I had to do something.” On Labor Day weekend, Ms. Boone drove down to Texas to help the animals. Communicating through social media to get help to make this trip a success, her goal was to bring home abandoned dogs.

Ms. Boone graduated Sycamore High School and from UC collage. Ms. Boone now lives in Campbell County. She works as a field operations manager for a locally owned property management company, Cincy Area Properties. Ms. Boone has a true love for animals from helping dogs in Texas to having Pugs of her own.

“My goal was to save as many lives as possible with the space in the trailer/crates,” said Ms. Boone. Trailer space was a huge factor when it came to how many dogs she could save and bring back to Kentucky. Ms. Boone was in contact with the Houston Animal Rescue Team in Tomball, Texas and she communicated with them to find out which area in Texas was in need for the most help. A worker from the Houston Animal Rescue Team pointed Ms. Boone to the Montgomery County Shelter in Conroe, Texas. Ms. Boone arrived at the Montgomery County Shelter a few hours after her arrival in Houston. Upon arrival, a staff member led Ms. Boone through the shelter so she could see all the dogs in need of help. After putting an all call out on social media for help, Ms. Boone borrowed a trailer and cages and hit the road to bring home as many dogs as she could.

Once she got there, choosing the dogs that she was going to bring home was a very difficult decision that had to be made. A few factors came into play. Sadly, many of the dogs were heartworm positive, which is very difficult on the dogs’ body to treat, and also very expensive. Ms. Boone also had to take into account the size of crates she had in the trailer, the dog’s disposition and adoptability, and their health records. Even with all the variables she had to take into account, the decision was still incredibly difficult.

Ms. Boone hatched her idea, gave her time, and work to help save these dogs; however, many people stepped up to help and support her throughout the trip to help her overcome some bumps and bruises along the way. Ms. Boone said that well over 250 people helped out along the way, from donations, to avoiding the traffic, and restroom breaks for the dogs. Even the smallest of thing made a big difference. Ms. Boone said, “People drove 1000 plus miles with trucks and trailers filled with supplies.”

Ms. Boone said that this trip changed her in many ways. She said, “I got to experience the best of America: regardless of race, religion or socioeconomic status.  I witnessed amazing things.” Other people, strangers to Ms. Boone, wanted to help. Ms. Boone said, “I’m more humble.  I saw everything work out, and it’s okay to ask for help from the community.  All actions, whether it be a share on social media, time volunteered, donations, or opening your heart and home to a stranger in need or animal can make a huge difference in your life and the life of others. It restored my faith in humanity, and gave me a much better attitude about the small things that I often grumble about.”

Ms. Boone saved 10 dogs on her trip. Getting them here was only half the battle for these dogs. They still had to find a forever home. Again through social media, almost all of the dogs have been adopted, but the last remaining dog is Princess.

She is about two years old and has recently had five puppies. Princess can be adopted by going to Saving Grace Animal Rescue. Ms. Boone actually saved 15 lives. However, Princess is heartworm positive, so the puppies need to have heartworm treatment.  Ms. Boone said, “They were so happy to see love! When we stopped in Nashville for the night on the way home, we fed them supper.  One of the dogs, Lovebug, took a couple bites of kibble, looked up and licked my face. I named her Lovebug after the Lovebugs in Texas.” The common bugs were all over the place.

She took her time, energy and love to save 15 lives and make them better. Any donations big or small could make a difference.  Please consider donating to Jenn Boone’s cause to help save a life by donating to the Fort Thomas Animal Hospital or Saving Grace Animal Rescue.  In times of devastation sometimes a hero emerges.  Mrs. Boone was that hero for 15 special dogs from Texas.