Girl Power builds friendships and self-esteem

CC Shick, Staff Writer

“Girl Power is a great opportunity to be with your peers in a social atmosphere and enhance skills for future success. Activities are intentionally planned and guest speakers help enhance the program,” said Mrs. Lori Maines, Guidance Counselor. Many know the phrase “Girl Power” as a reference to an attitude of independence, confidence, and empowerment among young, growing women. Mrs. Maines felt there needed to be more of this power. She said, “Girl Power is to help young women transition into the sixth grade by building self-esteem and establishing meaningful friendships through small group activities.”

Girls new to the middle school really appreciate this new program. Mrs. Teri D’Ambrosio, sixth grade world history teacher, said, “The sixth-grade girls enjoy getting to know each other better, especially those who are new to the district. They also enjoy getting to know their eighth-grade mentors who share their experiences.” She feels that it is a good idea to have this program because the incoming sixth graders get to meet and make many new friends. Girl Power was introduced by Mrs. Maines. Once she proposed the idea to Mrs. D’Ambrosio, they jumped in and have not looked back.

At the beginning of each school year, the transition from all the elementary schools to the middle school can sometimes be scary for the incoming sixth graders. Madison Opitz, eighth grader, is an ambassador this year for Girl Power. She said, “I did this program when I was in sixth grade and enjoyed the fun activities. I connected with my mentors, and made new friends.” Now that Opitz is an ambassador, she cannot wait to befriend the sixth graders within the Girl Power Program. The ambassadors help with the activities and help connect everyone. “I am really looking forward to the Christmas, and end of the year celebration,” said Opitz.

Many of the sixth graders love this program. Abby Kiefer, sixth grader, said, “I am really looking forward to the public speaking, games, and activities.” One of the favorite activities amongst the girls is theChristmas celebration. During this celebration, the girls are divided into groups and venture to different stations where they learn to become better friends and develop a stronger sense of self-esteem. Kiefer said, “I enjoy them being there because I know I always have someone to count on!”

This program has so many helpful skills a young woman could use in her daily life. They do many activities that revolve around a healthy lifestyle. “A variety of topics are emphasized throughout the year including self-esteem, social issues, cultivating a healthy body and mind, physical fitness, and friendship. There are two months of celebration, incorporating team building activities in December and March,” said Mrs. Maines. All of these activities and celebrations help improve the girls’ confidence and self-esteem.

Recently, Girl Power was highlighted at the Fort Thomas Independent School Board Meeting.  Several girls including Opitz made a video about Girl Power and presented it to the Board. Additionally, Girl Power has grown to the largest club at the middle school.

A variety of topics are emphasized throughout the year including self-esteem, social issues, cultivating a healthy body and mind, physical fitness, and friendship.The members of Girl Power mentors feel this program is beneficial to this school. They feel it impacts the new Bluebirds in a positiveway by becoming more confident in themselves and their friends. Some of the activities that help the girls include sports activities, mind strengthening, and boosting girls’ self-esteem.